Ara Roa » Press

Press

The Glasshouse, Whangarei, New Zealand

By Andre-Luc Tessier Press

This glass, steel and timber structure is nestled among ancient Pohutukawa trees on the tip of a peninsula in northern New Zealand. Integrating multiple skylights and floor-to-ceiling windows on three sides, The Glasshouse brings visitors close to nature without sacrificing comfort. Take in the Pacific seascape from the comfort of a hammock or head down the path for a dip in a private cove….. read more

Paradise revisited

By Peter Shand Press

Whangarei district, I rediscovered during my holidays, is one of the best places on the planet. From hiking over the ancient remnant of Gondwanaland, the Western Hills, to soaking up several of the districts beaches, I was constantly reminded that Northland boasts a breath-takingly precious environment.

But don’t just take my word for it; NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC with the help of conservation biologists has included our region in one of 25 ecological “hotspots” throughout the world which are “exclusive” homes to 44% of the Earth’s plant species and 35% of it’s birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians […]

Anchored in a quiet bay

By Wayne Thompson

The castle-like peaks of the Whangarei Heads stand out in a big bay of blue sea as you drop down the Brynderwyns on the main highway to Northland. […]  Press

At the end of a 1.4km private road up the side of Kauri Mountain, we found the Olsen’s farmlet. […] On an 18ha block, 30km east of Whangarei, they built a home and later, on a bushy paddock farther up the mountain side, a two-bedroom guest house, they call Ara Roa.

Peace of Paradise

By Steve Challis

Steve Challis discovers Ara Roa, an upmarket home and accommodation venture 30km east of the city.

Paul and Susanne Olsen spent eleven years working in the highly charged, surreal world of the ‘Superyacht Set’. A career that took them to many exotic and hidden corners of the globe. A glamorous and exciting lifestyle one might think – but according to Paul, the glamour part accounted for “perhaps 10% of the time, the other 90% could be damn hard work”. read more